The Fletcher Political Risk Student Case Competition
The Fletcher Political Risk Case Competition is a first-of-its-kind event that challenges students to apply their knowledge of geopolitics and business strategy to the world of political risk consulting. With the mentorship of political risk professionals, teams will compose and present a report on a contemporary political risk issue facing a real-life multinational enterprise.
- For students of all backgrounds to develop skills and experience in conducting political risk analysis
- To provide networking opportunities to connect young professionals with leading firms
- To promote the field of political risk as an important dimension of international business strategy
January 16th – Indication of preliminary interest and team composition
January 26th – A 600-word (maximum) proposal is due for all participating teams. The proposal should include:
- The multinational company of interest
- A country in which they operate
- A preliminary assessment of political risk issues the company faces in that country
All participating teams will be provided with feedback on the feasibility and scope of their proposals.
February 9th – A 3000-word (maximum) report is due for all participating team. Exemplary reports will include:
- An executive summary
- An accurate, succinct framing of the political risk issues
- A mitigation strategy for the company to remain in country, OR provide a reason why the company should exit, and if they exit, the best way to minimize their losses
- Any relevant appendices
February 16th – Three finalist teams will be invited to move forward in the competition. Finalists will be matched with a professional mentor who will help them refine their report and coach them on their presentation.
March 2nd – Finalists will deliver a 10-minute presentation on the recommendations from their report to a panel of judges, followed by 5-minutes of questions. First place, runner-up, and second runner-up will be determined by votes from the judges and an audience vote.
All participating teams, including non-finalists, are invited to prepare a poster of their key report findings to display during the afternoon gallery.
- Teams must be composed of 2-4 current students (graduate or undergraduate).
- Finalists must be present at the Fletcher Political Risk Conference on March 2nd, 2018
- Non-Fletcher/Tufts students must pay a $15 registration fee to participate. This fee includes a ticket to the Fletcher Political Risk Conference.